19 September, 2013

My English Welcome

(REPOST FROM Sept. 18, 2013)
Sometimes, not sleeping on the plane pays off.





I've had the privilege of experiencing 2 sunrises while crossing the Atlantic. In both situations, my breath was taken away.

Once off the plane everything went smoothly at Heathrow airport. The immigration line for "first-year international students to UK" was short enough, the paperwork (though the signs were some-what confusing) was super easy. My immigration officer even tore up my recently filled out medical document. If I may digress here, that is NOT a comforting sight. He said I didn't need it, nor did he ask to see any of the financial documents I was instructed to bring. His excuse, "You're from the US, you don't need these things." That is, UK immigration trusts that someone from the US will have enough $$$$ and few enough diseases to not be a problem to the country.

OK!

My Rotary host councilor, Alison Blythe, met me at the airport and off we went. I'd like to recall some of what we talked about, but we talked about everything and my memory is short. I remember both of us laughing, being polite, laughing about being polite (I made a *dirty* gesture, realized it, and we both agreed I shouldn't do THAT again, hahaha), and more. I think it we made a good impression on each other. 

First, I checked into the B&B I made arrangements with before I left. Side note: I found a listing for them last night "A Nice Place To Stay" and here at ukplaces.com. Beautiful house with a lovely English garden in the back, a Siamese kitten named Lily, antiquated family pictures, run by Vicki & Colin. And their landline is setup for free calls (under 60mins) to the US!




After getting acquainted with Vicki & Colin and dropping off my luggage in my room, Alison and I were off to see the other home owners I contacted. Truth be told, this B&B is lovely, in a great location for my needs, I really like Vicki & Colin and they seem to like me, therefore I wish I could stay here. The rent, however is triple what I'm prepared to pay, so I must go.

Chris & Mike's house was first on the list. I liked Mike right away. His husband, Chris, wasn't there, but the other house guests were. I didn't see them though (Chris's dad in the front room, German researcher at the top of the stairs, divorcee at the other end of the stairs). In short, the house was stunning, homy, room & bed were large and lovely, their tiny bulldog was adorable, heat was ON, Mike liked cooking for everyone, ugh I should have rented the place right then and there. Mike called later that day to say they rented the room out to someone else (i.e. someone smart enough to see what was right in front of their faces). To be kind to myself, this is the last I will think of their house and chuck it up to experience :)

Next was lunch, more talking, bought a mobile at a sketchy shop, and a plan with Lebara Mobile. I haven't the foggiest clue if this is a good plan or not, but as Alison and I agreed, that's not the point right now. Right now, I just need communication options.

After I stopped being able to understand people, even though I felt quite awake, Alison suggested I take a nap for afternoon, then if I could be woken, we would continue our room search.

After a great nap, we met Kate. Kate is cute, her house is cute, not posh, the room is a little smaller, but she's buying a new mattress for the bed, aaaaand she has a second furnished bedroom (even she described it as a closet) that will be quite convenient when the kiddos visit next summer. There is also one more roommate, Stable Mabel. A not-quite-all-there, nervous ginger cat who occasionally bobs her head side-to-side like she's in India. Unless Kate ends up being a psycho-murdering-baby-skin-wearer, I see this arrangement working out wonderfully. After Sunday, I must show you Stable Mabel.

My main function throughout the day was to yield to my hosts' suggestions. If someone offered me tea, I said yes; If someone offered me food, yes; If someone offered a specific type of food, yes; If someone suggested a mobile plan, yes; If someone offered to take me to a carboot sale (i.e. garage sale), yes. So far, a good tactic!


No comments:

Post a Comment