19 November, 2013

Seventh Week-Term 1

Weekend:

Spent a beautiful weekend wondering around, being shuffled around, and touring my new home-base. I attended another movie night with a friend, as well. The movie is local Irish indie film, Once. You can find it on Netflix (at least for now). The story is bitter sweet and nothing I expected. The music is, wow. Here is my favourite song from the movie (youtube). Honestly, watching movies snuggled into a double layer of socks & sweats (aka: tracksuit) has got to be one of the BEST ways to spend a cold, grey afternoon.



Monday:

I walked out of my first lecture today. Nothing as obnoxious as slamming books and storming out, coat flying through the air. I simply didn't agree with the content of the Psychology lecture. At our mid-lecture break I chose to leave and do other things with my time. I came to find out later that I wasn't the only one who took issue with the content.

After the lecture, several postgrads met up for our second yoga session of the term. What a lovely time! Everyone is so receptive to the practice. To drive home my promise that the practice is 'office friendly', I wore a floor-length skirt throughout the entire session. My back felt so alive and relaxed afterward.

The evening brought on bell ringing and more bell ringing, followed by drinks and billiards with an eclectic group of people. Such a melodic ending to a sweet day.

Tuesday:

Met up with a friend on campus for tea for the first time since arriving. We sat on a worn leather couch, in front of a sun-warmed window, and sipped creamy tea. The tea house is called Curiositea. I hope to frequent this establishment more.


Wednesday:

An unexplainable power outage ended our Statistics lecture early. I can't say I was terribly bothered by this.

Thursday:

Received news today that the Liverpool Bell Ringing Extravaganza hit some road-bumps. The cost to attend sky-rocketed due to unforeseen last minute changes. As torn as I was about which decision to make, I chose to remain in Coventry for the weekend and vowed to join the bell ringers for their next extravaganza. I don't usually like to pass on these rare opportunities. Waiting for that proverbial "next time" or "later" is not the type of behaviour that feeds a fulfilling forward momentum. The creed of my brief time on this planet.

Little did she know...

"Little did he know that this simple, seemingly innocuous act would result in his imminent death... I've written papers on 'Little did he know.' I've taught classes on 'Little did he know.' I once gave an entire seminar based upon 'Little did he know.''Little did he know', That means there's something he doesn't know, which means there's something you don't know, did you know that?"

Friday:

Little did she know...

With the fall-through of my Bell Ringing Extravaganza weekend in Liverpool, it was decided that I have dinner with my local Rotary Club hosts, Terry & Carole, tonight. (The Rotary Club of Coventry, District 1060) I had a delicious home-cooked dinner of pasta & veggie/tomato sauce with a side of white wine and some sort of sponge cake with golden syrup, drowned in custard. Delicious. I was so hungry when I arrived that I must admit to eating everything they offered. Thank goodness it was just a two-course meal! Terry & Carole are extremely nice people and I'm so glad I finally got to met them. They offered some great advice for getting around and dining in the UK, as well as scheduling a day out for gift shopping and sight-seeing. They made me feel completely at ease and I only wish now that I had been able to stay longer.

[The rare] Saturday:

Little did she know...

Being unexpectedly home-based allowed me the opportunity to attend a friend's birthday party in Leamington Spa. It was a lovely affair, teaming with a world-wide taste of fun. Wine, liqueurs, limes, gin, people, and birthday cake circled all night. I couldn't stop thinking, however, that the addition of one more guitar, keyboard, or voice would have made the whole affair even better.


Delicious birthday cake on posh new dishes.


I see you.....


Good company. Good night :)

1 comment: