13 November, 2013

Fifth & Sixth Week-Term 1

FIFTH WEEK:

I vaguely remember a society meeting. Talking. Wondering the streets.


A blur.

Assessment #1 due.
Therefore, a blur.

Or perhaps more succinctly:


P → Q

P       
∴ Q

Through the haze and deluded details of the week, the little things became my daily markers of life.


  • Getting accustomed to the English keyboards. In other words, trying to not hit the '#' key located next to the narrow 'Enter' key. 
  • Dropping a pound coin into the locker key slot at the gym every time I want to go for a round on the treadmill.
  • The strangely soft *smoosh* of fallen leaves.
  • Tea. Black tea. And more tea.
  • Adjusting my very narrow duvet about a thousand times a night.

Friday:
The postgrads blew off some steam the night after Halloween. We had our first assessment due Friday afternoon, so naturally no one went out Thursday evening (Halloween). Not an easy night to get pictures, but I did manage to snag one.




SIXTH WEEK

Monday:

At some point during the fifth week of lectures, I suggested a yoga session once a week for just us postgrads. The back pain and leg stiffness has increased at an exponential rate since lectures began. It was a small leap to assume my fellow classmates were experiencing the same thing. When I made the suggestion everyone flipped-the-eff-out. I don't believe I could have received a more excited reply if I had offered them cold, hard cash. Our first yoga session was today during our midday break. Good turn out. Good practice. More sessions were requested at the end. Yeah!

Movie night:The Fountain (Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz)

Exactly the amount of existentialism I expected. A really lovely experience, all the same. Check it out when you can.


Tuesday:

What happened to Tuesday? Rain happened to Tuesday. Beautiful rain.

Wednesday:

News was passed down today that there's a bell ringing extravaganza in Liverpool. Northern Universities Association of Change Ringers. Why would I not go?

Also, just as we started to get comfortable with our statistical software "R", we abandon it for a new one. Such is life.

Thursday:

I don't think I can accurately express my elation after today's events. If I questioned my actions before, I no longer have need to question them again. Picture it:

It's been a long day, nay, a long week. Seven disgruntled graduate students sit around a privately booked room, each tapping away at his/her own laptop. One student asks a poignant question about a linear expression. Another student hesitantly answers. A third student concurs and they all dive back into their own symbolic-based language systems. A student in the corner reads aloud her ideas on the most elegant expression for a regression model. Another agrees. The tapping continues. A tall student shares his thoughts on post hoc testing. Another student disagrees. A heated debate ensues. They agree to both testing formats. The tapping plays on....


Assessment #2 complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment